Kumasi flood: One dead, others trapped
A man believed to be in his mid-50 has been found dead in a drain at Kejetia after a heavy downpour in Kumasi on Saturday.
According to locals, the man was visiting his relative at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital from Tongo in the Upper East region.
Relatives said the man arrived in Kumasi on Saturday, but fell in an open drain after the torrential rains and was carried away by the force of the water.
His body has been deposited at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital morgue for autopsy.
Reports indicate that several people have been trapped in their rooms after Saturday's downpour and personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service have been to the scene to rescue them.
Meanwhile, some angry youth of Aboabo who were heavily hit by the flood in the Ashanti region were on rampage Sunday afternoon after flood destroyed properties worth millions of Ghana Cedis on Saturday.
The irate youth were protesting against the local assembly and city authorities, blaming officials of negligence leading to destruction of properties and the death of one person.
The incensed youth blocked major roads and burnt car tyres amidst the chanting of war songs.
Some of the youth in an interview said they want a bridge connecting the community to the Central Business District reconstructed to aid movement whenever there is a heavy downpour.
The police managed to bring the situation under control and appealed to the youth to resort to dialogue to register their protest.
- Gambian president sacked Supreme Court judges: lawyer
- Five dead in suicide blast at Nigeria leprosy hospital
- Polling stations officially open in controversial Burundi elections
- Mahama to grant amnesty on Republic Day
- Pratt backs Mahama on EC chair appointment
- First Deputy Speaker urges MPs to be punctual
- Demolishing Of Sodom And Gomorrah Untimely And Insensitive habib Iddrisu
- GYEEDA Again!…Kobby Akyeampong On Rampage
- The elephant will get back to the bush in 2016 if..-Lecturer
- Asking MMDCEs to hand over to Regional Ministers illegal - Expert
- President Mahama inaugurates Bomaa Polyclinic
- EC new chair is affiliated to the NDC- Gabby
- Akosombo water level sinks further
- Justice For All Programme: Chair rebuts police claims
- Father Bonks Daughter For Two Years