Government must commit adequate resources to primary education - GNAT
Fijai (W/R) April19, GNA - Mrs Naana Dadzie, immediate past Western Regional Chairperson of the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT), on Friday asked the government to commit adequate resources to primary school education.
She made the call at the Fourth Quadrennial Delegates Conference of the Shama Ahanta East branch of the GNAT at Fijai, near Takoradi.
The conference was on the theme: 'Crisis Prevention: The Role of Government and Stakeholders in Achieving Millennium Goal in Ghana'.
Mrs Dadzie said if this was not done the Millennium Development Goal 2, which focused on achievement of Universal Primary Education by 2015, may not be attained.
She said after four years of the implementation of the Free Compulsory Universal Basic Education (FCUBE), problems of inaccessibility and school drop-out still persisted.
Mrs Dadzie said poverty was still one of the major factors preventing the realisation of the accessibility of primary school education.
She said the conditions of service of teachers needed to be improved to enable them to improve teaching and learning in order to attract high calibre of people into the profession.
The problem of inadequate teachers in schools, especially in the rural areas and deprived communities, should also be tackled, Mrs. Dadzie said.
She said the Logistics and Supplies Department of the Ghana Education Service must endeavour to supply textbooks to schools on time and in correct quantities.
Mrs Dadzie suggested that community libraries should be established to enable students and children of school-going-age to have access to readable materials to improve upon their performance in school.
She said capacity building needed to be initiated at various levels to improve management and administrative efficiency in the education sector.
- The fear of contempt is the beginning of wisdom
- Kennedy Agypaong fumes as he accuses Prez Mahama and NDC of intimidating him
- Arrest Ken Ayapong over another potentially dangerous comment – NDC group
- KAYODE WILL RUN OUT OF LAGOS IF I TAKE HIM UP! – FIRST WIFE, OLUBUKOLA SALAKO
- NANA VRS MAHAMA: The Other Side
- Live coverage of election petition: Pratt accuses CJ of illegality; Baako dismisses claim
- Second Boston Marathon bombings suspect captured; siblings’ motives for massacre remain unclear
- Kpegah Hot Over Nana
- Nkonya/Alavanyo Sanction
- David Lamptey Family Disputes Place Of Death
- Supreme Court's directive meant to disarm respondents – lawyer
- POTAG-Kumasi threatens strike
- Kosmos Energy, two others deliver water to thousands in two districts
- AG Pastor Grabbed Doctorate In Divinity
- Nothing to write home about Mahama's 100 days – Kweku Baako